If you are building a new home or remodeling an existing one, going through a pre-wire process is essential. Making sure all the internal locations have access to connections that may travel the length of the home through walls and under floors is easier to do when the isn’t fully ready – if you have to tear up floor coverings or wallpaper to connect your kit, it might not be the best way to impress anyone else who lives with you!
Installing low voltage wiring such as CAT5 and CAT6 cabling or speaker wires will make your home look tidier and much more effective in use.
Here are some simple things to consider:
- Will you want music around the house?
- Will you have a computer or more than one computer?
- Will you have TV via antennae, cable, satellite or all of these?
- Will you want room-to-room control?
- Will there be adequate telephone jacks?
- Will there be a home theater? With surround sound?
- Is paging, door answering a consideration?
- Would you prefer one set of controls for lighting, temperature, music, video, etc.?